Tuesday 19 November 2013

Week 8

British horror!
Apparently occurring to Britishhorrorfilms.co.uk these are the top 20 best British horror films:

1. The Wicker Man 1973; Robin Hardy
2. Witchfinder General 1968; Michael Reeves
3. The Haunting 1963; Robert Wise
4. Death Line 1972; Gary Sherman
5. Theatre Of Blood 1973; Douglas Hickox
6. Don't Look Now 1973; Nicolas Roeg
7. Quatermass And The Pit 1967; Roy Ward Baker
8. Dead Of Night 1945; Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer
9. The Devil Rides Out 1968; Terence Fisher
10. Night Of The Demon 1958; Jacques Tourneur
11. Blood On Satan's Claw 1970; Piers Haggard
12. The Innocents 1961; Jack Clayton
13. Tales From The Crypt 1972; Freddie Francis
14. Frightmare 1974; Pete Walker
15. An American Werewolf In London 1981; John Landis
16. The Abominable Dr. Phibes 1971; Robert Fuest
17. Dracula 1958; Terence Fisher
18. Brides Of Dracula 1960; Terence Fisher
19. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed 1969; Terence Fisher
20. Horror Express 1973; Eugenio Martin




I personally have seen none of these, mainly because I don't like horror but also because all of the films were released before I was born; however at looking at some of them like 'Brides Of Dracula' and 'Frankenstein Must Die' I now would love to see them. I would like to see them as they seem more Gothic than horror, which I really like. It is paranormal horror that I hate and horror films that are only scary due to jump scares, they are the worst! 





British horror I have seen:
Woman In Black

28 Days Later 

Shaun Of the Dead

28 Weeks Later 

Let Me In (part British part American) 

Woman In Black review
I went to see The Woman In Black in the cinemas when it was first released  mainly because Daniel Radcliffe stars in it and I wanted to see how he was in another role. I also wanted to go and see it as I never normally see horrors and this film only got a 12 certificate, so it can't be that scary. However, I was wrong as this film had a lot of jump scares in it which is my personal downfall. The film is about a young Lawyer who decides to travel to a remote village where he comes across a vengeful ghost. For me the narrative was ok but I think more effort should have been put into that rather than the 'horror' element. I did enjoy the film due to the Victorian element and the old fashioned settings but I felt like the horror was purely based off of jump scares which is a disappointment for me.
The Woman in Black (2012) Poster



here is a review of the Woman In Black which I do mainly agree with.






























No comments:

Post a Comment