Monday 4 November 2013

Week 6

New book to film adaptations coming out:

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013) 
The Starving Games (2013)
How I live Now (2013)
Ender's Game (2013)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
The book thief (2013)
I, Frankenstein (2014)

I think that there are so many book to movie adaptations coming out because the director/producer and film companies know that if the book has had a good release there will be a preconceived audience as people who have read the book will want to see the movie version as it is something they have already enjoyed in one art form. 

I want to see all of these movies apart from 'The Starving Games' as it is a spoof of 'The Hunger Games' and I never particularly enjoy spoofs; especially if they are of films that I enjoyed, like 'The Hunger Games'. However if they are on films that were ridiculous anyway I do enjoy them.
I do want to see 'Ender's Game' but I realise that there is a lot of controversy around it, mainly due to the author's opinion on same-sex-marriage. However, I think the film looks rather interesting so I will still want to see it.



New/Announced/filming/post-production films with Johnny Depp:



Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales


Alice in Wonderland 2


Into The Woods


London fields 


Mortdecai 


Transcendence 









Captain Phillips: Movie review



I thought that this film was a very realistic capture of the true events. Tom Hanks plays the Captain and I have to say say I think he did a brilliant job of portray the fear and fright of the situation he was in. The movie is about modern day pirates who are forced to board a ship and 'take over' it to gain money to take back to their home; it is a thriller which gets more dramatic as the film goes on. I thought it was an excellent film as the actor's really portrayed the right feelings to the audience and Paul Greengrass used Steadicam and hand-held throughout the film excellently, it did not feel  unprofessional, it seemed real and it added to the suspense and fright. Overall I would give the film a 3 stars out of five as I thought that I could have been shortened down and some elements of the film I did not enjoy. I am glad I watched it as it was something different and new and it widened my film knowledge. 


Here is a review of the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZI_cXt6Ag0




My Top 5 favorite animated films (in no particular order):


Spirited Away
The film's synopsis (on IMDb)


In the middle of her family's move to the suburbs, a sullen 10-year-old girl wanders into a world ruled by gods, witches, and monsters; where humans are changed into animals; and a bathhouse for these creatures.







Howl's Moving Castle 
The Film's Synopsis (On IMDb)
When an unconfident young woman is cursed with an old body by a spiteful witch, her only chance of breaking the spell lies with a self-indulgent yet insecure young wizard and his companions in his legged, walking home.

My Neighbor Totoro 
The Film's Synopsis (On IMDb)
When two girls move to the country to be near their ailing mother, they have adventures with the wonderous forest spirits who live nearby.



Pocahontas
The Film's Synopsis (On IMDb)
An English soldier and the daughter of an Algonquin chief share a romance when English colonists invade seventeenth-century Virginia.









Coraline
The Film's Synopsis (On IMDb)
An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets.



My favorite animated films tend to come from the company Studio Ghibli as I like the way they look and their story lines are always unusual and incredible, spirited away is my favorite animated film closely followed by Howl's Moving Castle, both of which are produced by Studio Ghibli. 







No comments:

Post a Comment